We made ice volcanoes they were lots of fun. We were thinking of all the amazing vocabulary we could use in our writing while creating and erupting the ice volcanoes.
|Bailee adding water to make the volcano|
|Dom stirring the water and baking soda|
|Katie covering the bowl with plastic|
|Tyler tipping in the baking soda to make the ice volcano|
|The volcano breaking after the eruption|
|Sienna ready ready...????|
|Coopa and Sam watching to see what happens|
|Exploring the volcano|
We are learning to use a hook to begin our writing. A hook makes the reader feel excited to keep reading our writing. When we write we are always thinking about the reader.
Spit spit the volcano started to erupt. The lava steamed to the bottom of the crevices down the side...it looked like red boiling water sliding to the bottom fast.
Spit! Spit! The volcano was going to erupt bursting lava out of the crater.
Spitter spatter as the volcano started to work. Drip drip lava is leaking down the side. "Oh no its going to explode run"
Boom! Boom went the volcano exploding everywhere.
Rumble Rumble the volcano wasn't dormant anymore it erupted with fire hot lava.
Boom! The massive volcano exploded. Out of the crater came the lava it was boiling hot.
Fizz! Bubble! Boom! The icy volcano exploded slowly deep out of the crater.
Sizzle! Sizzle went the volcano just before it erupted. Lava blasted out burning hot fire.
Bubble bubble the volcano started to erupt. Lava ran down the icy sides of the volcano.
Silence...until rumble rumble bubbles started to bubble in the crater.
Suddenly... a mysterious bubble popped out of nowhere. Fizz fizz fizz as the red water made more bubbles.
Here are the instructions if you want to make one at home.
How to make an ice volcano
1 plastic bowl
1 sheet of plastic
1 small ball
2/3 bowl Water
1/3 bowl Baking soda
1) Place a small ball inside a bowl.
2) Line the bowl with plastic wrap so that the golf ball is underneath and the plastic comes up over the sides.
3) Fill the bowl with a mixture of baking soda and water. It needs to be about 1/3 baking soda and 2/3 water. Make sure the mixture is covering the ball.
4) Drip in about 4 drops of food colouring (you choose the colour).
5) Leave in the freezer overnight.
6) Take out of freezer and pull the plastic and the ball out.
7) Squirt vinegar into the crater (hole) to find out what happens.